We’re looking for an experienced and imaginative puppet designer & maker to support the R&D of Jack Dean’s new outdoor show, The Balloonist.
Inspired by the early days of air travel, The Balloonistwill be an epic outdoor show that brings Etienne Gaspard-Robert’s imagined airship the Minervato life, with the help of large floating puppet versions of the ship and the creatures it encounters. The finished show will contain two elements – a storytelling piece suitable for all ages, told with the help of three performer-musicians, and a walkabout performance in which the Minerva is transported around, songs from the main show are performed and the public can interact with the puppets and the performers. The project is supported by Proteus and Arts Council England.
- Experience of designing and making set and/or puppets for outdoor performance, and knowledge of the challenges the circuit poses for materials.
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Experience of working flexibly and collaboratively with other artists in an R&D context.
- Experience of working with balloons or other aerial / elevated puppets
- Able to commute to Basingstoke.
- w/c 11thFebruary: initial meetings to develop concept
- 18thFebruary – 3rdMarch: Designing period.
- 4th March: Presentation of first draft designs
- 5th-24thMarch: Making period.
- 25th-29th March: Residency at Proteus Creation Space, Basingstoke, delivery and tweaking of first draft puppets.
£1500 flat fee (based on approx. 15 days working freelance over project timeline) , £900 materials budget.
How To Apply
Please send a CV and portfolio (in either link or file form) to email@example.com.
Deadline for applications: 5pm on 27thJanuary.
Interviews will be held over Skype in the week of 11th February