Job Opportunity: Guitarist, Bassist & Band Leader, Jeremiah
We’re looking for a Guitarist, Bassist and Band Leader to perform in gig-theatre epic Jeremiah, which is touring England in May & June 2019.
ABOUT JACK DEAN
Jack Dean is an Exeter-based writer, performer and theatre maker who has carried his love of weird and wonderful arrangements of words to many places, from the Bowery Poetry Club in New York to Latitude Festival and the South Bank Centre. Previous productions include ‘Grandad and the Machine’, ‘Horace and the Yeti’, and ‘Nuketown’.
‘Artists like rap storyteller Jack Dean make us excited about what they might do next’ – The Guardian
Jeremiah is a loud, rambunctious new show with live music by rap storyteller Jack Dean, telling the incredible true story of the much-misunderstood Luddite rebellion: a movement that spanned the whole North of England, had more British soldiers fighting it than Napoleon, and made the destruction of machinery a capital offence. The story is told through the lens of the life of Jeremiah Brandreth, the instigator of the Luddites’ final gambit, the Pentrich Rising, and the last man to be beheaded in the history of Britain, weaving alongside it the parallel tale of William J. Oliver, the government spy that betrayed him.
A cellist, violinist and guitarist work with loop pedals to create a lush, epic original score that mixes hip-hop, shoegaze and cinematic composition styles, while Jack Dean delivers an epic true tale with dozens of characters, all contained within rap verse metre.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Highly proficient (Grade 7-level or higher) in electric guitar.
- Proficient (Grade 5-level or higher) in bass guitar.
- Strong track record of live performance, and of working in a band or ensemble to create music collaboratively.
- Comfortable working and collaborating with actors and directors in a theatrical context.
- Access to above instruments, and ability to transport them to and from the rehearsal and performance venues.
- Strong sight-reading ability, as well as ability to learn parts quickly by ear.
- Experience of working with live looping.
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proficiency with DAWs, especially Mainstage 3 and Logic Pro X.
- Previous Musical Director / Band Leader experience.
- Driving license and access to car.
- Access to own effects pedals (we’ll provide the looping equipment).
w/c 6 May: 3 days prep (at home) learning and practising the show’s guitar parts.
13- 17May: 5 days rehearsal @ the Barn.
21 May: Performance at Canada Water Theatre, London.
25 May: Performance at Theatre Deli, Sheffield.
30 May: Performance at Square Chapel, Halifax.
2 June: Performance at Pulse Festival, Ipswich.
4 June: Performance at Harrogate Theatre.
6 – 8 June: 3 Performances in North Devon with Beaford.
13 June: Performance at Proteus Creation Space, Basingstoke.
£100 per rehearsal and prep day, £125 per performance day (Total of £1925) plus travel and accommodation.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send an application to email@example.com, consisting of the following:
- C.V. detailing relevant experience.
- Examples of work such as video or audio recordings.
Auditions will be held at The Barn in Exeter, on 10 April. You must be able to attend the audition in order for your application to be considered.
Deadline for applications: 31 March at 5pm.